Overseas Recaps – Non-Conference and Conference Teams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overseas Recaps – Non-Conference and Conference Teams

Now that the overseas trips have been completed I thought it would be interesting to see how they did this year. As a comparison, here is how just the MVC did last year: Northern Iowa (5-0), Creighton (4-0), Wichita State (3-2), Illinois State (2-2), and Drake (1-3). So the MVC went 15 wins (68%) and 7 losses (32%).

This year Missouri State went 4-0 in Costa Rico and Indiana State went (3-0). Our Non-Conference opponents went as follows: Tennessee went 4-0 in Italy, VCU went 4-0 in Italy, Charleston Southern went 3-0 in the Dominican Republic, Tulsa went 3-1 in Canada, and Northern Colorado went 2-2 in Australia.

So in total they went 23 wins (88%) and 3 losses (12%).

I would say overall this should help these teams chances for improving their overall RPI numbers. Still concerned with Northern Colorado as they got blown-out in their two similiar level of competition teams and their two wins came against high-school seniors in Melbourne and Sydney. Tulsa's lone loss was against A-Hoops out of Toronto, which is a veteran group of current and former Canadian professional players, and who defeated (and won all three) DI teams from the U.S. including Austin Peay and the College of Charleston.

Why this would have any impact on these teams RPI numbers escapes me except maybe an indirect impact to the extent that these teams may be a little better then they otherwise would be due to the extra practice and extra game experience. It would be most helpful to any team that has a lot of new and inexperienced players. Whether they win these games or not is of little consequence.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 23, 2012, 12:43 PM.

Comment

IMO, it doesn’t mean Jack Schitt! :)

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

The thing with these records is we don't know what kind of competition it was against. Did we really play against much good competition in Brazil, outside of the National Team of course? Canada has some decent colleges. I could see where some of the Euro trips could find decent competition as well. Austrailia I would think would have some ok teams. I really don't know much about all of them though and don't put a lot of stock into good records in these games. At least not without knowing the level of competition.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Did SN just enter a time warp and travel back to 2011?
          Shocker Nation, NYC

Comment

Working...
          X